A round up of the week’s new car launches in bite-sized chunks.
News this week from from BMW, Chevrolet, Ferrari, Hyundai, Jaguar, Lexus, MINI, Subaru, Volkswagen and Volvo.27 February 2012
Subaru updates the Legacy Tourer for 2012
- Subaru’s range of Legacy Tourer estates has been improved for 2012.
- Modifications to the 2.0-litre Boxer diesel engine see emissions drop to 149g/km CO2 and fuel consumption average up to 49.6mpg. The 2.5-litre petrol remains unchanged.
- Improvements have been made to the six-speed manual gearbox and the suspensions, including new bushes to improve ride quality and lighter components.
- The Legacy Tourer is priced from £26,680 for the 2.0D S up to £31,150 for the 2.0D SE NavPlus.
28 February 2012
Volvo unveils striking all-new V40 range
- Volvo has resurrected the V40 badge for a bold new range of 5-door hatchbacks.
- Volvo claims the new V40 not only represents a premium, high quality choice in this market but also one which will deliver genuine driving pleasure.
- A wide range of engines will be on offer from a 94g/km diesel to a 254bhp T5 variant.
- Volvo hopes to sell 90,000 examples a year of its new Belgian-built model.
- UK line up and prices will be revealed later in 2012.
29 February 2012
Jaguar shows of its new estate – the XF Sportbrake
- Only slightly longer and heavier than the saloon but with the same torsional rigidity, Jaguar has unveiled the estate version of the XF, called Sportbrake.
- The new rear end features unique rear doors and panels behind it, with a blacked-out D-pillar, as used on the larger XJ range.
- The capacious cargo bay can stretch from 550l with the seats up to a useful 1675l when folded.
- Self-levelling rear suspension helps keep the rear end in check both with heavy loads and when towing.
- Powered by the 2.2-litre four-cylinder and 3.0-litre V6 diesel engines, XF Sportbrake prices will be confirmed in the third quarter of 2012.
Volkswagen unleashes the Golf GTI Cabriolet
- Becoming the new flagship of the Golf Cabriolet range is the new GTI model.
- Sharing traditional GTI styling cues with its hatchback siblings, the new Cabriolet is also powered by the same 210PS turbocharged 2.o-litre engine.
- Fitted with a manual or DSG gearbox, the Golf GTI Cabriolet can reach 147mph (146mph for the DSG) and reach 60mph in 7.3 seconds.
- UK prices will be confirmed in the second half of 2012.
MINI reveals the John Cooper Works Countryman
- MINI will reveal its sixth John Cooper Works model at the Geneva motor show, this time using the all-wheel drive Countryman as the basis.
- Powered by a twin scroll turbocharged 1.6-litre engine, the JCW Countryman benefits from 218bhp and can be specified with both manual and automatic transmissions.
- In manual guise the John Cooper Works Countryman will reach 140mph, sprint to 60mph in 7.0 seconds, as well as achieving 39.2mpg and 167g/km CO2.
- The JCW Countryman features a special body kit, 18″ alloy wheels, sports suspension, sports seats and a chunkier steering wheel.
Ferrari announces its fastest-ever model: the F12berlinetta
- Ferrari’s new performance flagship, the awkwardly named F12berlinetta, will make its world debut at the Geneva motor show.
- Replacing the 599 GTB, the F12berlinetta is powered by a 6.3-litre V12 producing a thundering 740PS.
- Top speed is ominously ‘over 211mph’ with the sprint to 60mph taking just 3.1 seconds.
- Fuel consumption has been improved by 30% over the outgoing 599, whilst CO2 emissions have been slashed to 350g/km.
- UK prices and specifications will be confirmed later in 2012.
Chevrolet confirms UK pricing for the Volt
- Chevrolet has confirmed that its hybrid petrol-electric saloon, the Volt, will cost £29,995 in the UK.
- Only one model will be on offer, with a comprehensive standard specification including heated leather seats, Bluetooth, keyless start, 17″ alloys, DAB radio, touch sensitive switchgear and rear parking camera.
1 March 2012
BMW announces the M3 Limited Edition 500
- Available in the UK from March, are coupé and convertible versions of the M3 in Limited Edition 500 from.
- Mechanically as the regular M3, these 500 specials come in either red, white or blue and feature Novillo leather, piano black trim and £4000 worth of other equipment for a £1000 premium.
- The BMW M3 Limited Edition 500 costs from £55,690 for the coupé.
2 March 2012
Lexus to debut the facelifted RX 450h at Geneva
- Lexus has given a sneak preview of the facelifted RX 450h range of hybrid SUVs, which will formally debut at the Geneva motor show.
- Featuring the new trademark ‘spindle’ grille design, the new nose gives the RX a more aggressive face.
- Also new to the RX range is an F Sport version of the 450h, featuring similar modifications to those seen on the CT, IS and GS ranges.
- UK prices will be confirmed nearer the RX’s on sale date.
Hyundai’s Veloster Turbo to debut at Geneva
- Hyundai have confirmed a 186PS turbocharged version of its Veloster coupé will debut at the Geneva motor show.
- The Korean marque’s 1.6-litre GDI engine is equipped with a twin scroll turbo producing lots of low-end torque.
- Manual versions will accelerate to 60mph in 8.4 seconds.