A round up of the week’s new car launches in bite-sized chunks.
News this week from from Audi, Ford, Hyundai, Mercedes-Benz, Renault, Rolls-Royce and SsangYong.
4 March 2012
Hyundai’s new i20 debuts at Geneva
- The second generation Hyundai i20 has made its debut at the Geneva motor show.
- Hyundai claims its 1.1 diesel model has the lowest CO2 rating of any non-hybrid car on sale with just 84g/km of emissions; even the larger 1.4 diesel produces just 96g/km.
- Styling is much more scultped than the outgoing model and employs many of the visual themes revealed on the larger i40 range.
- Line-up and prices will be confirmed later in 2012.
5 March 2012
Sporty ST flagship for Ford Fiesta range is unveiled
- Ford has finally debuted a production version of a fast Fiesta at the Geneva motor show – the new ST.
- Powered by a 1.6-litre EcoBoost engine, the Fiesta ST has 180PS at its disposal with a top speed of 136mph.
- A great driving experience is promised with a 15mm lower ride height than regular Fiestas and Ford’s Torque Vectoring Control system.
- UK sales begin in the first half of 2013.
Ford’s second generation Kuga debuts in Geneva
- Following on from its North American debut as the Ford Escape, the car is now in European guise as the latest Kuga.
- Based on the Focus platform, the new Kuga debuts a series of innovations to make life easier: 82l more boot space than the outgoing model with a tailgate that can be opened or closed by kicking under the bumper.
- The engine range will include a 1.6-litre EcoBoost petrol engine and 140PS and 163PS versions of the 2.0-litre TDCi diesel.
- UK sales of the new Kuga begin in early 2013.
Third generation Mercedes-Benz A-Class is unveiled
- The third generation A-Class from Mercedes-Benz has been unveiled at the Geneva motor show.
- Gone is the taller, mini-MPV stance – the new A-Class is more of a conventional hatchback.
- All engines are turbocharged with petrol variants coming as the A 180 (115hp), A 200 (156hp) and A 250 (211bhp). Diesel A-Classes can be ordered as A 180 CDI (109hp), A 200 CDI (136hp) and A 220 CDI (170hp).
- All powertrains have stop-start functionality and a six-speed manual gearbox as standard, with a seven-speed dual-clutch automated system as an option.
- UK line-up and prices will be confirmed later in 2012.
Audi reveals the third generation A3 in Geneva
- Looking rather like a facelifted, the new 3-door version of the Audi A3 is an all-new design.
- Initial engine range consists of 1.4 TFSI petrol (122PS), 1.8 TFSI petrol (180PS) and 2.0 TDI diesel (143PS).
- Exterior dimensions are similar to the outgoing A3 but with an increased wheelbase length to imrove composure and interior packaging.
- UK deliveries begin in September 2012, pricing will be confirmed in due course.
6 March 2012
SsangYong reveals the facelifted Korando
- SsangYong’s Korando SUV has been facelifted with a series of visual and mechanical improvements.
- A new 2.0-litre petrol engine is joined by a 149PS version of the existing 2.0-litre turbo diesel.
- The exterior is treated to a new chrome grille while inside carbon-look fixtures and high gloss switchgear are designed to offer a more premium feel.
- UK prices will be confirmed later in 2012.
Renault introduces the production version of the ZOE electric hatchback
- The production version Renault ZOE has changed little from the concept version and introduces a number of EV firsts.
- At 130 miles, the ZOE has the longest range of any electric car yet on sale.
- Its flexibile charging system allows it to be re-charged on a number of power levels making public charging points more feasible from a cost perspective.
- ZOE comes with Renault R Link, a 7″ tablet that contains the satnav and related services to use in the car.
- UK sales begin later in 2012 at just £13,650.
Rolls-Royce launches its new flagship: the Phantom Series II
- Click here for a full report on the Rolls-Royce Phantom Series II launch at Goodwood.