A round up of the week’s new car launches in bite-sized chunks.
News this week from Audi, Bentley, Jaguar and Volkswagen.
22 April 2012
Bentley debuts the new Continental GT V8 and GTC W12 in Beijing
- Bentley continues to expand its Continental line with the new GT V8 coupe and GTC W12 convertible debuting in Beijing.
- Power for the GT V8 comes by way of the 4.0-litre, twin turbocharged 500bhp unit, already fitted to the GTC range, providing a top speed of 188mph and a 0-60 sprint in just 4.6 seconds.
- The GTC W12 has a 567bhp 6.0-litre W12 configuration engine, enabling the rapid convertible to reach 195mph and rush to 60mph in just 4.5 seconds.
23 April 2012
Jaguar unveils the flagship XJL Ultimate
- Jaguar has revealed the new range-topping Ultimate line of the XJL range at the Beijing motor show.
- The focus of the Ultimate XJL is opulence, particularly for rear seat passengers, with two individual, fully adjustable, reclining and massaging rear chairs.
- Technological advances include the fitment of iPads in cradles on the back of the front seats as one part of the rear entertainment package.
- In addition to the familiar 3.0-litre turbocharged diesel and 5.0-litre supercharged petrol engines, the Ultimate is the first in the XJ range to be confirmed with a new 340PS 3.0-litre supercharged petrol unit.
- XJL Ultimate prices will be confirmed later in 2012.
24 April 2012
Audi’s V8 onslaught with the new S6, S7 and S8 models
- Audi has displaced its naturally aspirated V10 performance flagships with a new twin turbo TFSI V8 for its latest S6, S6 Avant, S7 Sportback and S8 models.
- The 4.0-litre petrol unit delivers 420PS in S6 and S7 models, with S8s featuring a boosted 520PS.
- All models are limited to 155mph but otherwise performances are: S6 0-60 4.6 seconds, 29.4mpg combined average and CO2 of 225g/km; S6 Avant 4.7 seconds, 29.1mpg and 226g/km; S7 Sportback 4.7 seconds, 29.4mpg and 225g/km; S8 4.2 seconds, 28.0mpg and 235g/km.
- UK orders begin in May with the S6 at £53,995, the S6 Avant costing £56,050, the S7 Sportback priced at £61,995 and the flagship S8 at £77,900.
25 April 2012
Audi’s mid-size Q5 receives a makeover
- Audi’s popular Q5 SUV has been refreshed with subtle changes to the styling and dynamics to complement a revised engine range.
- Outside, the nose has been modified with a different style of LED lighting, grille modifications and other detail changes.
- Inside, the instruments, controls and dials have been tweaked, with liberal amounts of chrome added too.
- The chassis has been modified with different springs and damper rates to provide a more agile and compliant on-road ride.
- Engines for the refreshed Q5 are 2.0 TDI (177PS), 2.0 TFSI (225PS), 3.0 TDI (245PS) and a new 3.0 TFSI (272PS) replacing the outgoing 3.2-litre naturally aspirated petrol.
- Order books in the UK open in May, with first deliveries expected in October.
27 April 2012
Volkswagen launches the sporty Polo R Line
- Volkswagen has launched a warm 3- and 5-door version of its popular Polo, the R Line.
- Powered by the 105PS 1.2-litre TSI engine, the Polo R Line reaches 118mph and hits 60mph in 9.7 seconds, yet still provides 53.3mpg on the combined cycle and emits just 124g/km of CO2.
- Special R Line features include static cornering lights, sportier R Line bumpers and side skirts, black detailing and privacy glass.
- Prices for the Polo R Line are £15,195 for the 3-door and £15,815 for the more practical 5-door.